Sunday, June 12, 2011

Kids

Well time for another post. I was reading some of the blogs I usually follow and on this one, she talks about she doesn't like playing or interacting with others alot. I say that if your gonna home school your kids that you will need to provide them with other children to play with. If you don't know alot of people with kids then going to the park is a great way for kids to become socialized and meet kids. When my daughter was younger, around 2 or so, I went back to work and she went into daycare. When she started Nursery school she was prepared to interact with other kids and knew how to follow instructions. She was also well on her way to reading and know her numbers.

Now my youngest, I didn't go back to work as he was diagnosed with food allergies and they were pretty severe ones too. I didn't realize how many foods contained milk or eggs. I was making my own bread cause all the ones in the stores contained both milk and eggs. Needless to say that we lived on Rice and Potatoes. No cream soups for us :(

Because I didn't put him into daycare and he only socialized with like 3 or 4 other kids, when it came time for him to start school, he was at a disadvantage. Oh he new his alphabet and numbers and was starting to read, but he did not know how to interact with other kids his own age. It was a huge shock for him. He had the same kindergarten teacher as his sister did and I explained about him not going to daycare and how he might have trouble adjusting to the other children. I was lucky that the school was one that believed in helping kids adjust to new experiences and situations. For that I'm grateful.

For all those out there who don't put their kids in daycare or some such, at least have them part of a play group that meets regularly so they can learn the social skills they will need to survive as they enter the bigger world.

OK off my soapbox now :P

Later all and Be Well

No comments:

Post a Comment